Current Affairs Capsule – January 27, 2020
- January 27, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The 62nd annual Grammy Awards were presented in Los Angeles on 26th January, 2020. The winners were awarded in more than 80 categories. The Album of the Year was won by Billie Eilish for “When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go”. Billie Eilish also won the Best New Artist award. The Song of the Year was “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell. The Best Rap Album was “Igor” by Tyler, The Creator. The Grammys are presented by The Recording Academy to recognize achievements in the music industry. It was first awarded on 4th May, 1959.
- The Government of India has set up a 24×7 helpline number to provide support regarding queries on the novel coronavirus. Under the directions of the Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan and the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) call centre, 91-11-23978046, has been made operational. The death toll in China has risen to 56 while the confirmed cases of viral affliction have reached to 1,975. Coronavirus is a virus that causes serious illnesses ranging from the common cold to the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day is observed on 27th January every year to commemorate the tragedy of the Holocaust that occurred during the Second World War. It commemorates the genocide that resulted in the death of six million Jews and eleven million others, by the Nazi regime and its collaborators. The day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 60/7 on 1st November 2005. The theme for this year is ‘75 Years after Auschwitz-Holocaust Education and Remembrance for Global Justice’. The International Day marks the ending of World War II.
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG), President’s Police Medal (PPM) for Distinguished Services and Police Medal (PM) for Meritorious Services on the occasion of Republic Day 2020 in Delhi. Police Medal for Gallantry was awarded to 286 police personnel while 93 personnel were awarded President’s Police Medal (PPM) for Distinguished Service. A total 657 personnel received Police Medal for Meritorious Service.
- India and Brazil on 25th January, 2020 signed fifteen agreements in various fields including cyber security, bioenergy, social security and health and medicine, after bilateral talks between Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro and Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. The two countries also signed an investment cooperation and facilitation treaty that provides a framework to increase trade and investment in high growth areas. Bolsonaro was the Chief Guest at India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations.
- Secretary and Financial Adviser of the Ministry of Tourism Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi inaugurated the Bharat Parv 2020 that will be held from 26th January to 31st January, 2020 in Delhi. The objective of Bharat Parv is to encourage people to visit different tourist places of the country and to inculcate the spirit of ‘Dekho Apna Desh’. The theme for this year is ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ and ‘Celebrating 150 Years of Mahatma Gandhi’. Bharat Parv is a five-day festival organised annually at the end of January by the Ministry of Tourism to showcase the cuisine and culture of different states of India.
- Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India Sunil Arora took over as the chairman of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2020 from outgoing Chair K.M.Nurul Huda, CEC of Bangladesh on 24th January, 2020 at the 10th Annual Meeting of FEMBoSA held in New Delhi. Established in May 2012, the FEMBoSA is a regional association of the Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of the SAARC countries and has eight members.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When were the first Grammy Awards held?
Q2. On which day is the International Holocaust Remembrance Day observed?
- 24th January
- 25th January
- 26th January
- 27th January
Q3. India and _________ signed fifteen agreements on 25th January, 2020
Q4. Bharat Parv is organised to inculcate the spirit of ______
- Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
- Celebrating 150 Years of Mahatma Gandhi
- Dekho Apna Desh
- Bharat ki Ekta
Q5. When was the Forum of the Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of South Asia (FEMBoSA) established?