Current Affairs Capsule – January 28, 2020
- January 28, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn and External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar held bilateral talks in New Delhi on 28th January, 2020. They reviewed the bilateral relations between the two countries and discussed ways to further strengthen ties in the areas of trade and economic cooperation, space, political and strategic relations among others. Mr Asselborn, who is one of the longest serving Foreign Ministers in Europe, arrived in Delhi on 27th January on a three day official visit to India. The Ministers agreed to further intensify the high-level political contacts.
- Home Minister Amit Shah chaired the 22nd meeting of the Central Zonal Council in Raipur, Chhattisgarh on 28th January, 2020. Central Zonal Council comprises of four states – Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Chhattisgarh. The Chief Ministers and Chief Secretaries of these states attended the meeting. During the meeting, issues related to security, law and order, infrastructure related matters like roads, transport, water, industries and power along with various issues between the Centre and member states and inter-state disputes will be discussed. The five Zonal Councils were set up in 1957 under Sections 15 to 22 of the States Reorganization Act, 1956. The Union Home Minister is the Chairperson of each of these five councils.
- Punjab National Bank’s former MD and CEO Sunil Mehta has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Bank Association (IBA) for a term of three years. He will succeed VG Kannan, who resigned from the post in December 2019. The chairman of IBA for the year 2019-20 is Rajnish Kumar, the Chief of State Bank of India. The IBA was formed on 26th September, 1946 with headquarters in Mumbai.
- Passport renewal reminder services have been launched by the Union Ministry of External Affairs on 28th January, 2020 to send the reminder alerts before the expiry of the passport. The Passport Seva Kendras will send SMS to the passport holders about the renewal. The Henley Passport Index, an annual ranking of the world’s most powerful passports, had ranked Indian passport at number 82 as it gives visa-free entry to 58 destinations all over the world.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the 3rd Global Potato Conclave that will be held at Gandhinagar, Gujarat from 28th January to 30th January, 2020. The last two Global Potato Conferences were organized in 1999 and 2008. The conclave will provide an opportunity to bring all stakeholders to one common platform so that all the issues are discussed and future plans are made involving everyone related to the potato sector. Gujarat is one of the leading producers of potato in the country.
- Maharashtra Government, on the occasion of Republic Day, launched the Shiv Bhojan scheme, which aims to provide a meal to the poor at 10 rupees. Under the scheme, thalis or lunch plates would be available to people at designated centres or canteens during a stipulated time in all the districts. Each canteen will serve at least 500 thalis per day. Tamil Nadu had set up a first such canteen in 2013.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the country’s first Super Fab Lab based in Kochi, which was set up in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It will give a major push to the hardware industry in the country and is the only such facility outside the US. It has been set up at the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) complex in Kalamassery near Kochi. The KSUM is an entrepreneurship development programme that creates environment and infrastructure to support high-technologies.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. How many Zonal Councils were set up under Sections 15 to 22 of the States Reorganization Act, 1956?
Q2. Which among the following is not a member of the Central Zonal Council?
- Madhya Pradesh
Q3. When was the Indian Bank Association (IBA) formed?
Q4. When was the first Global Potato Conclave held?
Q5. Which state has launched the Shiv Bhojan scheme?
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
Q6. Where is India’s first Super Fab Lab set up?