Current Affairs Capsule – January 30, 2020
- January 30, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Telangana, with a score of 82, emerged as the best performing state based on the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as per the United National Development Programme (UNDP). It was followed by the states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka together with a score of 72. The states have been scored based on the Sustainable Development Index. In December 2019, India became the first country to release the SDG India Index.
- The 34th Surajkund Mela, an International Crafts Fair, will be inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind on 1st February, 2020. The fair is being organized by the Haryana Government in Faridabad. The partner country of the fair is Uzbekistan. The theme state of the fair is Himachal Pradesh. Around 20 countries and the states of India are participating in the fair.
- Assam Rifles constructed a combined war memorial at Mokokchung in Nagaland for the 357 Army and Assam Rifles personnel, killed while fighting insurgency in the northeastern state. Christened “Veer Samriti”, the memorial is spread over 13,500 sq ft. Nagaland also has the famous Second World War Cemetery at Kohima. Assam Rifles, which was raised in 1835, has also been carrying out counter-insurgency operations in militancy- infested states in the north-eastern region.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the amendments in the National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill, 2019 that seeks to replace the Homoeopathy Central Council (HCC) Act, 1973. The bill was pending in Rajya Sabha. The amendments will ensure necessary regulatory reforms in the field of Homoeopathy education and enable transparency and accountability for protecting the interest of the general public. The HCC Act 1973 has been modelled on the pattern of the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956.
- Union Minister of State for Prime Minister Office Dr Jitendra Singh launched the Bhuvan Panchayat V 3.0 web portal that will function with the help of satellite technology developed by Indian Satellite Research Organisation (ISRO). The portal will enhance the network application of gram panchayats. The project is meant to provide geo-spatial services to aid gram panchayat development planning process of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice S.A. Bobde on 28th January, 2020 approved the project of introduction of African Cheetah in India on a carefully chosen location which suits its habitat and also examine if the animal could adapt to Indian conditions. Stating that the Indian Cheetah has become extinct, the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) had filed an application seeking permission to relocate the African Cheetah from Namibia. The apex court also constituted a three-member committee to guide the NTCA in taking a decision after conducting a thorough survey. The NTCA was established in December 2005.
- The Composite Regional Centre (CRC) for skill development, empowerment of persons and rehabilitation has been launched by the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in Port Blair. The Composite Regional Centres in India are located in Kozhikode, Bhopal, Lucknow, Patna, Guwahati, Srinagar, Ahmedabad, Mandi and Suraghi. The CRCs are centres set in order to create infrastructure and resources for persons with disabilities.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state emerged as the best performing state based on the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as per the United National Development Programme (UNDP)?
- Andhra Pradesh
Q2. Which is the partner country for Surajkund Mela 2020?
Q3. Which is the theme state for Surajkund Mela 2020?
- Himachal Pradesh
Q4. Where is the Veer Samriti, a war memorial constructed by Assam Rifles?
Q5. When was the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) established?
Q6. Where is the new Composite Regional Centre (CRC) for skill development, empowerment of persons and rehabilitation launched?
- Port Blair