Current Affairs Capsule – January 31, 2020
- January 31, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Rani Rampal, the captain of Indian women’s hockey team, became the first hockey player in the world to win the prestigious ‘World Games Athlete of the Year 2019’ Award. This award is given for outstanding performance, social concern, and good behaviour. People across the world select the winner through voting. Rani Rampal is the recipient of the Padma Shri award in 2020. The Indian women’s hockey team won the Asia Cup in the year 2017 during her captaincy.
- World Health Organisation declared an International Health Emergency over the outbreak and spread of coronavirus outside China. At least 213 people in China have died from the virus, mostly in Hubei, with almost 10,000 cases nationally. WHO said that there had been 98 cases in 18 other countries, but no deaths. India has so far reported its first case of novel corona virus in Kerala. Declaring a global emergency allows the WHO to support lower and middle income countries to strengthen their disease surveillance and prepare them better for cases. It has previously declared five global public health emergencies – Swine flu (2009), Polio (2014), Zika (2016) and Ebola in 2014 and 2019.
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” chaired the Indian Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO (INCCU) on 30th January, 2020 in New Delhi. After the reconstitution of the commission, it has met for the first time. The meeting stressed on achieving 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. UNESCO stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. India is a founding member of UNESCO.
- World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day is observed every year on 30th January to create awareness in addressing the tropical diseases. It is the first time the day is being observed. The Neglected Tropical Diseases are caused by pathogens such as bacteria, helminths, viruses and protozoa. They are common in low-income countries of Asia, Africa and America. WHO estimates that more than a billion of the population spread across 149 countries is affected from the Neglected Tropical Diseases. The common NTD of India is lymphatic filariasis.
- National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog on 29th January, 2020 released the ranking of Aspirational Districts of the country for the month of December 2019. Chandauli district in Uttar Pradesh has topped the list followed by Balangir (Odisha) and YSR (Andhra Pradesh) at the second and third positions respectively. The ranking is based on the incremental progress made by over 112 aspirational districts across six developmental areas – health and nutrition, education, agriculture and water resources, financial inclusion, skill development and basic infrastructure in December 2019.
- Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020, which seeks to amend the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971. The limit of termination of pregnancy has been increased from 20 weeks to 24 weeks. The Bill is for expanding access of women to safe and legal abortion services on therapeutic, eugenic, humanitarian or social grounds.
- Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the official amendments in the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine Bill, 2019 (NCIM), which is pending in the Rajya Sabha. The proposed legislation will ensure necessary regulatory reforms in the field of the Indian system of medicine education. The proposed regulatory structure will enable transparency and accountability for protecting the interest of the general public.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who won the prestigious ‘World Games Athlete of the Year 2019’?
- Stanislav Horuna
- Rhea Stinn
- Rani Rampal
- Maria Chernova
Q2. How many global public health emergencies have been declared by WHO till now?
Q3. On which day is the World Neglected Tropical Diseases day observed?
- January 28
- January 29
- January 30
- January 31
Q4. Which district topped the ranking of Aspirational Districts India for the month of December 2019?
Q5. Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020 seeks to amend the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, __________