Current Affairs Capsule – January 8, 2020
- January 8, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The second National GST Conference of the Commissioners of the State Tax and Chief Commissioners of the Central Tax was held on 7th January, 2020 in New Delhi to streamline the Goods and Services Tax (GST). Under the chairmanship of Revenue Secretary Dr Ajay Bhushan Pandey, the meeting decided to constitute a Committee of Centre and State officers to examine and implement quick measures to curb fraudulent refund claims.
- After 10 years of establishment of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) in 2009, the identification mission is nearly complete with 1.2 billion Indians having an Aadhaar card. According to the State of Aadhaar report, 2019, Aadhaar has been the first identity document for around 65-70 million individuals.
- The World Bank released its study on effects of automation on the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) flows in the world on 6th January, 2020. Across the world, the rise of automation has raised concerns over its impact on employment, especially in poor countries. While automation will disrupt the flow of capital from rich to poorer countries, the poorest countries could actually gain from the automation, if adopted at the right time.
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO), under the Ministry of Statistics and Programme implementation, released the first advance estimates of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the fiscal year 2019-20 on 7th January, 2020. The projected growth rate of GDP in the FY20 is 5%, which is the lowest since FY09, the year of the global financial crisis, when GDP grew at 3.1%. This is mainly due to the decline in the growth of manufacturing sector, which grew at the rate of 2% in 2019-20 as compared to 6.9% in 2018-19. The GDP growth in FY19 was 6.8%.
- The fifth edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5), a biennial conference to promote the interaction of Drosophila researchers in the Asia-Pacific region with their peers in the rest of the world, is being organised by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Pune from 6th January to 10th January, 2020. It will bring together scientists from all over the world who use the fruit fly, Drosophila, as a model organism to address basic and applied questions. It is the first time the conference is being organised in India.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) released a report on the intake of added sugar in metropolitan cities of India on 5th January, 2020 based on the survey conducted jointly by the ICMR and the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) Hyderabad. The first-of-its-kind survey was sponsored by the International Life Science Institute of India (ILSI). The average daily intake of added sugar in all metro cities was 19.5 grams/ day, lower than the ICMR recommended level of 30 grams/day. The mean intake of added sugar is the least in Hyderabad. As per the survey, women take around 20.2 grams of added sugar in a day while men’s intake of added sugar is 18.7 grams per day.
- The Government of India, in consultation with Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), released new standards for the performance of air conditioners. As per the new standards, all AC manufacturers shall ensure the default setting of temperature in the room air conditioners at 24 degrees Celsius, with effect from 1st January, 2020. According to the BEE, the total air conditioner capacity of India is 80 million tonnes of refrigeration and is estimated that this will increase to 250 million by 2030.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) established?
Q2. What is the projected growth rate of GDP in FY20as per the CSO’s first advance estimates of GDP?
Q3. Where will the fifth edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) be held?
Q4. What is the average daily intake of added sugar in all metro cities in India?
- 18.7 grams/ day
- 19.5 grams/ day
- 20.2 grams/ day
- 22.7 grams/ day
Q5. As per the new standards, all Air Conditioner manufacturers shall ensure default setting of temperature in the room air conditioners at _________degrees Celsius