Current Affairs Capsule – January 9, 2020
- January 9, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Forbes list of ‘20 people to watch in the 2020s’ has been released recently. The list featured Prashant Kishor, a Janata Dal (United) national Vice President, and Kanhaiya Kumar, former President of Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU). Kanhaiya ranked 12th in this list and Prashant is ranked 16th. A US-based political commentator and comedian Hassan Minhaj is on the first position in the list. Environmental Activist Greta Thunberg was ranked 15th on the list. Other Indians who found a place in the list are Aditya Mittal, The Godrej family, Dushyant Chautala, Mahua Moitra and Garima Arora.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated every year on 9th January to recognize the contribution of overseas Indians in the development of India. The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Ahmedabad in 1915. The day is being celebrated every year since 2003.
- The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department for International Development, the Government of the United Kingdom for Enabling Energy Self-Sufficiency for the Indian Railways. The Cabinet also appraised the Agreement on Cooperation in Polar Science between the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India and the Ministry of Education and Research, Sweden, signed during the visit of the King and Queen of Sweden to India. The Cabinet also gave its approval for the ratification of the Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement between India and France that was signed in March 2018 during the State visit of the French President to India.
- The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) released its State of Climate Report for the year 2019 on 7th January, 2020. 2019 was a year of extremes – heat, cold, rain and cyclones for India, killing a total of 1,562 people. 2016 was the hottest year of the decade. The mean temperatures remained 0.36 degrees above normal, making 2019 the seventh hottest year ever recorded.
- A high-level committee under the Home Ministry approved the release disaster relief fund of Rs 5,908 crores from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) to seven states – Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Gujarat, Kerala and Uttarakhand. The National Disaster Respond Fund was established under the Disaster Management Act, 2005. It is defined under Section 46 of the Act.
- The 12th edition of the bilateral maritime exercise ‘Naseem Al Bahr’ between India and Oman will be conducted at the Mormugao Port inGoa. Two ships of the Royal Navy of Oman (RNO) – RNOV Al Rasikh and RNOV Khassab – and the Indian Navy ships – Beas and Subhadra – will participate in the exercise. ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’ (or sea breeze) is a naval exercise between the Indian Navy and the RNO, being conducted since 1993.
- The Farmers Science Congress was organised for the first time on the sidelines of the 107th Indian Science Congress that was held from 3rd January to 7th January, 2020 in Bengaluru. The Farmers Science Congress highlighted the importance of farmers’ innovations and their scientific validity. On the sidelines of the ISC, the Yoga Science Meet was also organised on 5th January, 2020, which discussed how Yoga helps insulate from diseases.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who is on the first position of the Forbes list of ‘20 people to watch in the 2020s’?
- Prashant Kishor
- Hassan Minhaj
- Kanhaiya Kumar
- Greta Thunberg
Q2. On which day is the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas celebrated?
- January 7
- January 8
- January 9
- January 10
Q3. Cabinet approved the ratification of the Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement between India and__________.
Q4. Which was the hottest year of the decade as per the State of Climate Report 2019?
Q5. The Government of India approved the release of disaster relief fund to __________ states.
Q6. Exercise ‘Naseem Al Bahr’ is a bilateral maritime exercise between India and ______