Current Affairs Capsule: 02 April 2019
- April 3, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Oxfam India’s report Mind the Gap – State of Employment in India was released. As per it, Lack of quality jobs and increasing wage disparity are key markers of inequality in the Indian labour market. The report states that women are paid 34 per cent less than similarly qualified male workers for performing the same tasks.
- The state of Odisha celebrates Odisha Divas or Utkala Divas every year on April 1st to commemorate the state formation day. In 1936, Bihar and Orissa had been separated from Bengal to form the Bihar and Orissa Province. Orissa was the first linguistic province in the country. The name of the state was changed from Orissa to Odisha, and the name of its language from Oriya to Odia, in 2011.
- China has successfully launched the first of its new-generation data relay satellites into orbit that will provide data relay, measurement and control services for its manned spacecraft. The Tianlian II-01 satellite was launched by a long March-3B carrier rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest China’s Sichuan Province on March 31, 2019. China launched its first data relay satellite, the Tianlian I-01, in April 2008.
- India has levied anti-dumping duty worth up to USD 1,559 per tonne on imports of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate sheet used in solar cell making from China, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and Thailand for five years to safeguard domestic players against cheap shipments. The imports of components used in solar industry have increased as India launched an ambitious national solar policy named Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission in January 2010.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has listed Hump-backed Mahseer as Critically Endangered in the Red List of Threatened Species. The Hump-backed Mahseer is a species of freshwater ray-finned fish and is referred to as tiger of the water. The Hump-backed Mahseer is found only in the Cauvery river basin. There are about 16 species of mahseer in India.
- Earth Hour 2019 was witnessed on March 30 by turning off lights at 8:30 pm local time for an hour as a call for global action on climate change with the theme #Connect2Earth. World Wide Fund for Nature has partnered with the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) to create connect2earth movement. Earth Hour began as a symbolic lights out event in Sydney in 2007.
- The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) unveiled the State of the Global Climate in 2018 Report. Extreme weather events impacted close to 62 million people in 2018 and displaced more than two million as of September of that year. 2018 was the fourth warmest year on record, and the four warmest years on record all took place between 2015 and 2018. Flooding which was the climate-related disaster that impacted the largest number of people in 2018 more than 35 million.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted a French-drafted resolution which ordered countries worldwide to step up the fight against terrorism financing by ensuring they have laws that make it a serious crime to fund terrorist acts. Since the binding resolution was drafted under chapter 7 of the UN Charter it can be enforced with sanctions. This will force the nations to act.
1.When was Earth Hour started?
2.On which day Odisha celebrates Odisha Divas or Utkala Divas?
- March 30
- March 31
- April 1
- April 2
3.What is the weight of the electronic intelligence satellite ‘Emisat’?
4.According to the Oxfam India’s report Mind the Gap – State of Employment, what is the gender pay gap in india?
5.How many people were affected by the flooding in 2018?
- More than 28 million
- More than 35 million
- More than 42 million
- More than 48 million
6.Which country launched its new-generation data relay satellites Tianlian II-01 satellite?
7.India has levied anti-dumping duty on imports of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate sheet used in solar cell making from _____
- Saudi Arabia
- All the three
8.When was the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission launched in India?